Pages

Sunday, January 09, 2011

I know you are, but what am I?

Old, but still wonderful.

So, why do I call myself a naturalist? Because that is what I am: circular. I am a collection of atoms, arranged in a quite small, not so intelligent package. These tiny, tiny, particles are from times and places so far removed from me, I cannot accurately fathom their origins. I do get to make use of them for a short time. Afterwards they decay, out of my form and into something else. Perhaps, some become a part of a fungi in a few years or stretch over an event horizon in a few billion. I say all this in attempt to rationalize my circularity, and also to give some context.

When asked, I give a variety of answers defining my belief structure. Naturalist, agnostic and atheist have all been in the rotation, mostly in that order. Naturalism is defined here as:
The view of the world that takes account only of natural elements and forces, excluding the supernatural or spiritual.
So naturalism as a world view is atheistic, and rejecting of dualistic metaphysical world views. That said, I do not completely rule out the possibility of the "supernatural." Many things we once thought supernatural, have been shown to have a natural cause. I prefer the term "naturalist" because it has the word natural in it, and I am enamored with the natural universe. Plus, it gets odd looks when people incorrectly interpret it as "nudist." In addition, it does not carry the stigma that the term "atheist" does. At least, not until you explain it, as Damion correctly pointed out.

What of atheism? In the comments of one of my previous posts, Thomas asked my thoughts on the re-branding of atheism. I do not think we need to throw out the term "atheism." The "New Atheists" have put us in the spotlight, and now we have the chance step up and define who we are. Atheists are quite diverse, as is population in general. However, what needs to be focused on is our similarity. We are a part of the same communities. We live, love and give.

We also need to push the immense wonder of the universe to the forefront. So much exists that religious world views sweep under the rug. These facts are inching out and begging to be understood. We are past the time of easy answers and cheap wonder. The universe does not need myth to be amazing. The reality illuminated by science is quite incredible all on its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment